• What Pet Should I Get? A new Dr. Seuss picture book is coming out 28 July. In 2013 the author’s widow and secretary found the manuscript in a box that had been set aside since 1991, when Suess died. Srsly? They waited 22 years to look inside the box? Ron Charles asks whether we really want a new Dr. Suess book. Ron! Bite your tongue.
• Ten writers who took themselves way too seriously. (Ten isn’t bad. Imagine how long the list of politicians would be. Or television evangelicals.)
• Philip Levine, Pulitzer Prize winner, former Poet Laureate of the United States, died on Valentine’s Day.
• Another eye-opening conversation with Jonathan Franzen. “I don’t care what people read.”
• Family Christian Stores files for bankruptcy. But they get to keep going. It’s the publishers who will foot the bill for their insolvency. How Christian of Family Christian Stores!
• Twenty-two books women think men should read. Well, HuffPost newsroom women, anyway.
• Happy words outnumber sad words in ten surveyed languages. No wonder we struggle to describe our dark, dismal, somber, gloomy, brooding moods.
• Is Amazon under threat from a new challenger? Not unless Jericho is under threat from a kazoo.
Interested in being a correspondent for Town Crier? Write to editors at easystreetmag dot com.